Old 28-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Dwayne

Default New Tomatoes cut off: What did it?

"Pam" wrote in message
In our last fun filled episode, Tue, 22 Apr 2003 21:49:04 -0600,
"Dwayne" proclaimed:

An easier way to combat cutworms is to put a toothpick or nail into the
ground next to your plants. I understand that a cutworm has to circle

the
plant to cut it off. A nail or toothpick would prevent that. I tried it
and it works, as long as we are dealing with cutworms.

tacky top posting duly noted

(Where does it say that a person shouldnt post on top? Is it a rule made
up by the internet service? Could it possibly be just something that some
like to complain about?)

The point, which if you had read all the way to the bottom of the
post instead of lazily piling some screed at the top, was that
the culprit hasn't been identified.

(I did read the entire post and some of the posters mentioned the
possibility that it might be cutworms. They also listed ways to get rid of
cutworms. I listed an easier and more fool proof method than prevoiously
listed. I even made mention of the fact that it would work, as long as we
were dealing with cutworms.)

The plants are being cut at
about 2.5 inches off the ground, which is higher than the a
typical cutworm chews. A sticky trap might stop the baddie

(And also the helpful bugs such as lady bugs)

*and* allow it to be identified so that more specific precautions
might be taken in the future. Plus the original poster could let
those of us who are curious know what the beastie is.

Pam

---
"Oh no, not again."
- A bowl of petunias on its way to certain death