Old 28-04-2003, 06:44 AM
Gordon Couger

Default German GM wheat trials approved but site sabotaged

"Torsten Brinch" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 01:08:52 -0500, "Gordon Couger"
wrote:
"Torsten Brinch" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 07:01:04 -0500, "Gordon Couger"
wrote:
Crops that use half the CO2 to grow snip

Yes, Gordon, what crops are you talking about?

The CO2 saved by reduced fuel use in farming soybeans and
cotton in notill cropping.

You are talking about no-till crops? But were you not talking
about GM crops? Are you now equating the two? There
is poor correlation of GM-crop area to no-till area in
the data, a fact which I have repeatedly drawn your attention
to.

You are talking about CO2 from fuel use? But were you not
suggesting halfing total CO2 emission from growing the crop?
Are you now equating the two?

For broad leaved crops in particular the genetic resistance to Round Up
makes no till possible. With other herbicides some weed finds a niche quite
quickly. Corn is an exception to this. Atrizine as a preplant or early
postemergance treatment and 2-4-D alone and in combination with other
herbicides through the season will kill practically anything but corn, The
fact that corn grows tall enough to shade out many weeds makes weed control
in notill easier as well.

Before RR cotton and beans there was no such thing as no till cotton or
beans. I don't know how many of our 12 million acers will be no till this
year and we won't until after planting time. I just got a email from a
friend that has two places of wheat hailed out that he will put back as
notill cotton. The fellow that farms my home place killed 100 acres of wheat
to put no till cotton in. We didn't get the irrigation in west Texas in soon
enough to get wheat growing on it for cover but I expect he will next year.
At least that was the plan last I heard.

With out Round Up no till is not possible for any broad leaf crop I know of.
It would extend the amount of time you can rasie no till wheat before
herbicide resistant weeds take over.

Gordon