Old 28-04-2003, 12:56 PM

Default Lawn problem: chinch bugs or something else?

(Andrew Connell) wrote:
We moved into our new house 1.5 years ago and have had a few different
companies service our lawn... the only thing I've done is maintance
(mow, trim, edge, garden, etc). I recently decided, after talking to
a neighbor, to fertilize and treat my yard myself. I'm having a
problem with a major part of my front lawn, and I'm concerned it's a
insect problem:

An area, starting about 10% into the lawn to 70% (going from the
street to the house) is dying in a patchy way. The grass isn't brown,
it's flat out dead in spots (very easy to grab a clump of it). I
thought it was a bad spray (because I'd had problems with the last
company) so I raked up the dead stuff, fertilized last week, and
stepped up the frequency of watering.

A few people have asked me if I had chinch bugs and I kept saying no,
but with that many people asking, I'm starting to think I might. How
can you tell if you have them? Some areas are no bigger than a 1'x1'
area... is pretty big (5'x5'). From what I saw in some chinch bug
pictures (on scotts.com), it shows like they take over a yard in a
wave... not patchy which is what mine is. Also, scotts.com said they
start from pavement... the closest they've gotten is 5' from the
street.

I can take a picture and post on my website if that would help. I'm
just really concerned about losing my yard.

Thanks in advance,
-AC

Chichbug control isn't real expensive. Just go ahead and
treat for them.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/