Old 28-04-2003, 01:44 PM
SugarChile

Default Bed gardening vs rows

I don't broadcast, just put a little around each susceptible plant. I
sprinkle it on top of the mulch; since it's straw, some of it falls down and
some of it stays on top. I'm not sure if that's *right* or not, but it
seems to work. It works better if I reapply a small amount every week or
so, or after especially heavy rain. If I'm diligent in the spring, and get
all the slugs that would otherwise be reproducing, by summer I don't have
much of a problem.

Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"Pat Meadows" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:46:05 GMT, "SugarChile"
wrote:

The only downside I can see is that the mulch harbors slugs. The birds

work
over the ground and get a lot of them, but on susceptible crops I need to
use slug bait (sluggo or escargo, not the toxic stuff) early in the

season.

I also mulch, and had a slug problem last year.

This year, I bought Escargo.

How do you spread it? Pull back the mulch? On top of the
mulch?

Thanks.
Pat