Old 28-04-2003, 02:08 PM
montana

Default Grape advice requested

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

montana wrote:

We moved into a house (three years ago, May) that has some grape plants
and while we get great vines and the young leaves are tender & delicious
when stuffed, we haven't seen one grape

Don't forget that grapes bear on the previous year's new growth only! You
can look up the various pruning strategies, but the basic idea is to,
during late winter, remove all the old growth and leave a measured number
of buds worth of the new growth.... the exact amount depends on the vine's
vigor. If the vine hasn't been pruned in a long time and you cut it back
the way you should, you probably won't get any grapes that year, because
all the new growth will be out on the ends of the old.

But it's worth it.

If I understand you correctly, I should prune some of the old growth,
but not all, so the grape vines are not wild, but have just a couple of
shoots?

My DH just told me that he sees grape vines that have three "shoots" per
plant - not that he's mentioned this in three years or anything...

It's too late for one of the grape plants (I pruned it back over the
winter), but I can still try that with the other. I forgot that I have
also seen this.

Thanks. This and the spraying may mean fresh grapes sometime.