Old 28-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Pat Meadows

Default AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:47:58 GMT,
(Frogleg) wrote:

Our actual temperatures generally run 5-10 degrees lower
than the forecasts at the nearest weather station, but this
was 25 whole degrees lower! OK, now I know....

Sorry, Pat. At least it wasn't anything you did -- there's nothing
like killing a bunch of plants through one's own carelessness. Hope
some stuff thaws successfully. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

It's much better than I initially thought. The lettuces and
chard are OK. This is actually amazing, because they were
just as frozen as if you'd put them in a freezer overnight.

Half of the broccoli survived, half didn't.

I'm still not sure about the Chinese greens (baby bok choy,
hon tsai tai, and choy sum). I think they're OK, but they
may fail to thrive henceforth. Also, these are supposed to
bolt to seed if 'vernalized' - if suffering undue cold in
spring. They certainly suffered undue cold!

I've noticed that being frost-bitten really sets plants back
even if they survive. No wonder, too.

On the whole though, it's better than I'd thought. It just
irked me so because I could - and would - have prevented it
if the forecast hadn't been so wildly off - 25 degrees!

Last night, we brought them all in again - and the
temperature was 24. Much warmer than 15.

Pat