Old 28-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Marc Stephenson

Default Local Tree Sources

In article ,
Terry Horton wrote:
On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 19:28:42 -0500, "M&M"
wrote:

I have been to Home Depot and Lowe's and I am just not impressed with their
selection or prices.
Does anyone have any experience with Ted's Trees @ 1118 Tillery in Austin?
Or any of the trees advertisers in the Austin American Classifieds?

I am looking for good sources for any or all of the below
plants/shrubs/trees
Lacey Oak
Live Oak
Bur Oak - or - Red Oak
Possumhaw Holly
Texas Redbud
Yaupon Holly
Dwarf Wax Myrtle
Southern Wax Myrtle
Yellow Bells
Texas Mountain Laurel

Smaller trees (1-10 gal. or so) adapt more quickly after transplanting
and within a few years will catch up in size to larger transplants.
And they're of course far less expensive. Of other nurseries in town,
Barton Springs Nursery has the widest selection and best prices I've
found on native tree species. Most of my own trees come from there.

I second the Barton Spring Nursery recommendation, and I've noticed plenty of
yellow bells and Texas mountain laurel on my recent visits. They have lots of
trees in the back and have plenty of helpful, knowledgeable staffers. In
between Walsh Tarlton and Westbank (or for the big picture, in between
Mo-Pac and 360) on Bee Caves Road in West Lake Hills.
--
Marc Stephenson IBM Server Group - Austin,TX
T/L: 678-3189