Old 28-04-2003, 05:32 PM
zxcvbob

Default Converting Lawn Into Planting Beds

AuralFeast wrote:
What's the easiest way of converting lawn into planting beds? I'd like to
build beds along 30 feet of fence line - maybe about 2 feet wide.

Do I just roto till the lawn? Do I remove the sod and roto till? Use grass
killer and roto till?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Bob Pauly

What kind of grass is it? If it's bermuda grass, you will need to spray
it with Roundup to have any hope of ever controlling it. With other
grasses, *maybe* you can just turn the sod upside-down with a shovel and
kill the grass.

I think I would mark off and edge the beds, spray with roundup. Wait a
week and then plant over the top of the dead grass with transplants.
Mulch thickly, and keep it well watered and weeded the first year. Add
more compose and till it all up in the fall.

The topsoil under the grass will be full of dormant weed seeds waiting
for someone to disturb the soil. There's no sense in giving them their
wish that first year when you are battling the grass and trying to build
up the soil.

Best regards,
Bob

--
Have a Windows® computer that is powered on for hours at a time? Join
the search for a cure for cancer: http://grid.org/projects/cancer/