Old 28-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Beverly Erlebacher

Default Springtime flowers in North East USA

In article ,
swim learning wrote:

Just to butt in here - I think photo #1 is Purple Leaf Sandcherry,
Prunus x cistena, a very hardy ornamental that makes a large shrub
or small tree.

I see a lot of trees with gorgeous white/cream/pink small flowers
during spring. Although I have checked the basic Peterson and Audubon
guides, I have not been able to identify many of these. Example trees
are hawthorns, mountain-ash, plums, cherries, and crab apples.

Most of the ornamental plants you see will be not be natives, so the
field guides won't be very helpful. There's a lot of hybridization
and selection for unusual characters in ornamental plants so field
guides for other parts of the world may not be helpful either.

One way to identify a particular tree is to look around a large garden
center or plant nursery since they will likely stock whatever is popular
in your area, and all the plants will be labelled!