Old 29-04-2003, 01:08 AM
NJ

Default AlgaeFix anyone??

"adavisus" wrote in message
om...
Any chemical 'algae' fix is never going to be anything more than a
short term fix, it is fighting against nature, not a real solution at
all, whereas upping aquatic plants and not overstocking is working
with nature, long term...

I'd be very wary of any kind of 'shelf' product sold for clearing
algae, some are based on vicious herbicides with unknown long term
secondary effects, like killing plants, killing fish... perhaps thats
intended to sell more chemicals to 'fix' the problems that emerge
months after the 'poison' winds its secondary effects out on fish and
plants.

Not what I really want to stick in my pond, deary me no, lol

This is the third year for my pond AND my four fish, all of whom have
repeatedly wintered over here in zone 5b. Admittedly, I have a small pond
(850 gal), and I can lean a bit on some "quick fix" products for initial
troubles, but I have noticed NO ill effects from any "off the shelf"
products I have used in my pond. My plants do wonderfully, my water is
crystal clear, my fish are thriving with nary a problem, and my pH level,
chlorine level, and Kh levels are excellent. My skimmer and falls were
turned on for the first time this season on April 2nd, and the brief
appearance of algae was much much less than the same time last year.

So...apparently what I "stick in my pond" (after much careful reading and
consideration) seems to be doing the trick, and may for other small ponders
as well.

NJ