Old 29-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Lar

Default Oleander - How Poisonous?

In article ,
says...
Just purchased and planted a variety of trees and shrubs for our back yard.
One is an Oleander plant. I bought it because it will grow big and the
flowers are awesome. Should I be concerned about the toxicity of the plant?
I keep reading that they are poisonous.

We have a 9 month old son and a dog. My concern is that they will
accidentally touch or eat some of the plant and get sick.

A toxicologist in a class said 2 leaves could kill a
130 lb animal. And he had given an example of a group
burning collected cuttings in a bonfire/ weenie roast
scenario where four of five (maybe five of six) died
from the smoke inhalation. I have never heard of
accidental poisoning from curious children and there are
many other hazards around the home they need to be
protected from rating higher than the plant toxins.

--
Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!