Old 29-04-2003, 04:56 AM
JMartin

Default The Levis Boycott

Well, shoot. I had no idea.

I am particular about my blue jeans. They have to fit just right.

A few years ago, I had problems finding some where the waist didn't
hit at about my third rib. Those high-waisted jeans were a drag.
Couldn't bend over, though I do have to say, one can stuff a
surprising amount of flab into them, thus creating the illusion of a
firm stomach.

Along with the high waists came the narrow leg openings. Remember
when it was a struggle to get your foot into them? Or they had
zippers on the back? One of my daughters has been blessed with thick
ankles. Those were rough years for her...

Now the problems are opposite. The "new" jeans remind me of the hip
huggers I wore in third grade. As I no longer have the physique of a
third grader, I find the low waists distressing. All the flab I
stuffed into the high-waisters now over-hangs the low-waisters. Add
to that, a good chunk of Victoria's Secret sticking out the back when
I bend over and...well...you get the picture. Not something a woman
my age wants to wear.

They went back to the whole flare thing too. Huge leg openings which
are unsafe around machinery, not to mention they act like huge
mops...soaking up whatever I happen to walk through and then
re-depositing it on the floor when I get home. One of my daughters
used to delight in fidgeting around and then announcing "My legs
aren't touching the legs of my pants at all!"...like that was a huge
accomplishment. It's not when the stupid things are three feet in
diameter.

I try the new ones, but I always end up going back to Levi's. Of
course, Levi's always tries to fit the new styles, but since they fail
so miserably, I can usually find something that fits ok. In fact,
when I went to California, I went to the store, just to see if they
had better Levi's than they did out here. They did and I bought
several pairs. They fit perfect. Just the right amount of rise in
the waist, just the right amount of boot cut for my boots. Their
denim is still somewhat durable, not that flimsy stuff that looks like
denim, but offers no protection at all.

Little did I know that I was wearing the creation of the enemy. I
guess every time they get cow shit splattered on them, I can feel a
little better about it. Or when I get them slimed by a newborn calf
(that is the worst..that stuff is so
sticky-slimy-won't-come-off-your-hands-or-your-pants). I guess I'll
be sure to wear them when I start gassing skunks, or poisoning rats,
or shooting coyotes, or better yet...when I do inhumane things to my
animals, like castrations!

Thanks for the tip. Guess I'm going jeans shopping again.

Jena