Old 29-04-2003, 12:32 PM
Pat Meadows

Default time to plant? zone 6b

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 01:19:31 -0400, "CaringIsTheFirstStep"
wrote:

Until the state ag gets back to me, I might just start planting.

This is the second place that said 4/14 for the Philadelphia area
http://www.victoryseeds.com/frost/pa.html

The chart looks fairly realistic to me. I live in PA too,
but way up north, not near Philly. But I have lived in
South Jersey and in northern DE, both of which have climates
not unlike Philly's.

Even though you might not have a frost, if the soil is cold
and wet, your seed might rot instead of sprouting. I'd
probably, therefore, err on the side of caution and wait
until mid-May for seeds directly planted outside.

Pat