Old 21-02-2003, 11:37 PM
John Savage

Default bunya nuts

"Lorraine Holloway" writes:
Hi, found this info on a web site "Australian plants online"

"The simplest way to prepare Bunya nuts for eating is to put them in a
saucepan of water and boild for about half an hour. Remove from the water
and split open while still hot. Remove from the shell and serve with butter
(pepper and salf if required). They may be eaten cold, but are better hot."

Thanks Lorraine. The ones I saw were bigger than any boiler I'd have.
I'm surprised at the half hour cooking time. I anticipated they'd have
to be cooked for hours to get any heat through to centre of the nut! I
think I'd have to resort to roasting in the oven, simply because the
nut is so huge.
--
John Savage (newsgroup email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)