Old 29-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Big Wave

Default Oleander - How Poisonous?

Thanks for all the info everyone. I decided to move it to the back perimeter
of our lawn - I initially had it next to the house.

On 4/28/03 11:56 PM, in article OJmra.680478$S_4.730187@rwcrnsc53, "Philip"
wrote:

As almost everyone has said, you should be Ok, but they are very toxic. I
can tell you from personal family history that the sap is really NOT a good
thing to get on you. My grandfather was trimming back my aunt's oleanders
during the summer in Yuma. He reached up and wiped his head with his hand.
The resulting blisters that later appeared (about 1 hour later) were bad
enough that they sent him to the hospital. He had major chemical burns that
took about 2 months to get over.

Because of that I've always hated the things. My grandfather was my hero,
after all, even more so since my dad died when I was 3. I encourage people
to eradicate them, just because.

Philip
"Obsessed? Me???"
"Big Wave" wrote in message
Just purchased and planted a variety of trees and shrubs for our back

yard.
One is an Oleander plant. I bought it because it will grow big and the
flowers are awesome. Should I be concerned about the toxicity of the

plant?
I keep reading that they are poisonous.

We have a 9 month old son and a dog. My concern is that they will
accidentally touch or eat some of the plant and get sick.

Thanks!