Old 29-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Mike Noren

Default Water chemistry & cakcium hydroxide addition.

"Cam" wrote in message ...

Anyway, can I use calcium hydroxide as top-up water in my Tanganyika
tank too?

You can use crushed coral as a substrate, excellent for higher ph. Also you
can add small sea shells to your filter.

The entire tank is filled with limestone and limestone sand. That only
very slowly raises pH to under 8, and really provides little in the
form of buffering. Using calcium hydroxide raises pH, alkalinity, and
carbonate hardness at the same time, and buffers pH to 8.3 (or it does
in sal****er anyway - the issue here is if calcium hydroxide gives a
different end pH in freshwater).

This is not least important as some of my animals are borderline
brackish.

(Bizarre... All my posts from yesterday, e.g. the one first in this
thread, appeared on Google Groups, and then disappeared again. Even
the replies to my posts are gone. Did I somehow trigger a filter, I
wonder.)