Old 29-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Andrew Connell

Default Lawn problem: chinch bugs or something else?

I'll check for grubs tonight... thanks for the idea. I also talked to
someone I work with who said his neighborhood was being hit with a
St.Aug grass fungus. The fungus turns the grass yellow and then dies.
Then the grass doesn't re-grow... EXACTLY my problem.

I can take some blades to my local ACE Hardware store and they can
identify it. If so, treatment is water, then spread special granules,
and water again in 24hrs. My friend said his yard started to recover
in 1-2 weeks.

-AC

Pop wrote in message . ..
Could it be grubs?
Looks like my lawn and I have grubs. Turn some turf over and I could
see the 3/4" white grubs.
I treated 1 week ago. I'm in massachusetts.

Steve

On 27 Apr 2003 15:59:56 -0700, (Andrew Connell)
wrote:

We moved into our new house 1.5 years ago and have had a few different
companies service our lawn... the only thing I've done is maintance
(mow, trim, edge, garden, etc). I recently decided, after talking to
a neighbor, to fertilize and treat my yard myself. I'm having a
problem with a major part of my front lawn, and I'm concerned it's a
insect problem:

An area, starting about 10% into the lawn to 70% (going from the
street to the house) is dying in a patchy way. The grass isn't brown,
it's flat out dead in spots (very easy to grab a clump of it). I
thought it was a bad spray (because I'd had problems with the last
company) so I raked up the dead stuff, fertilized last week, and
stepped up the frequency of watering.

A few people have asked me if I had chinch bugs and I kept saying no,
but with that many people asking, I'm starting to think I might. How
can you tell if you have them? Some areas are no bigger than a 1'x1'
area... is pretty big (5'x5'). From what I saw in some chinch bug
pictures (on scotts.com), it shows like they take over a yard in a
wave... not patchy which is what mine is. Also, scotts.com said they
start from pavement... the closest they've gotten is 5' from the
street.

I can take a picture and post on my website if that would help. I'm
just really concerned about losing my yard.

Thanks in advance,
-AC