Old 29-04-2003, 04:56 PM

Default How to break up clay?

tilling just moves seeds to the surface and you will have a patch of weeds. what my
mother did in her clay was dig a good hole, amend and plant.
since you are starting a "new" area, the best thing would be to plant your big and
permanent items like trees and bushes this spring. plant them "high" and mound good
dirt over the root ball and then mulch the whole area up to the level of the bushes.
I am talking 6-8 inches of mulch. I can hear a chipper running. throw on clothes
and run down the street to find em, then direct them to come dump their chips in our
yard. really water the mulched area well all summer long, this helps compost the
chips. in fall you are ready to plant bulbs. scrape the mulch aside, dig out the
area for doing bulb plantings ... amend the bottom of the area, plant, cover with
good soil, pull the mulch back on. by next year you can start putting the perennials
over the top of the bulbs.

"Olushola" wrote:

I have two 3'x10' areas in which I want to plant bushes and flowers. The
ground is hard as nails. I rented a 5HP tiller, but that just scratched the
surface. I was told to rent a jack hammer to break up the soil.

Does anyone have any solutions?

thanks

Olushola

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List