Old 29-04-2003, 07:08 PM
SugarChile

Default Plume poppy, was Help with conflicting bugbane instructions!!

Ah, but Pam, what's your soil like? I'm guessing it's excellent g. My
point, which I tried to make clear, is that some people find it to be
invasive, but I do not. I've got heavy clay, which I've worked to amend,
but the runners still just don't get very far in it. It has seeded itself
to a very small degree, two or three seedlings throughout the entire garden,
and they are easy to pull if not wanted; you could also clip the plumes as
they went to seed if you were worried about it.

I've had several plants that were a lot more of a PITA than this one;
including some rampant self-seeders. This is a beautiful plant IMO, and
can be well worth growing if you have a bit of knowledge about. Mint is
more invasive than plume poppy for me, yet people still grow mint; they just
take care to contain it. It's also possible that someone would have an area
they WANT to have overtaken by a vigorous plant.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"Pam" wrote in message
Just as a footnote, plume poppy in my garden is an obnoxious thug. I

removed the
mother plant years ago because it sent up runners all over the place (and

at
considerable distance from the original plant) and I am still finding

starts of this
thing in various parts of my garden. This is definitely a plant which

should be sold
with a warning label.

pam - gardengal