Old 30-04-2003, 12:57 AM
Brent Walston

Default [IBC] Soil Mix for Cuttings

At 02:30 PM 4/27/03 -0700, Tony Busko wrote:
Does it matter what soil mix to use for cuttings? I read that pourous
potting medium, like shultz perlite, or multi purpose soil conditioner...and
some say clay soil. What are your thoughts and suggestions?

Tony

It depends, in part, upon your cutting growing arrangement and the species
with which you are working. If you are using a low tech cloche type of
environment, any good bonsai soil mix should be fine. I would avoid clay in
the mix, and not use native soil if you are doing this in containers. In
general it is best to use clean or disinfected media such as sand, perlite,
bark, etc. Planting in the earth may be used for hardwood cuttings.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++