Old 27-02-2003, 09:30 AM
Andrew G

Default I don't want to do it, but ...........

"rapdor" wrote in message
the time has come to buy a motor mower

age is winning the battle

so im looking for a gentle power mower, something that wont destroy my

lawn
my garden would take less than half an hour with a power mower, but i

really
do want the least agressive machine possible im told that mowers with
four cutting blades are less damaging than those with two the garden

is
filled with trees, so has lots of curves and corners, and no large

expanses
of grass

any comments or suggestions on what to buy (shudder) would be appreciated

4 blades are better than 2, mostly when it comes to cutting heavier grass.
As long as blades are kept sharp, not knife sharp, just not damaged from
hitting rocks or concrete edges, then it should never destroy your lawn.
Running a mower at too low revs or with damaged blades can bruise the lawn
or possibly pull some of it out.
I'd personally go for a 4 stroke mower. They last for ages with minor
maintenance. Biggest problem with 2 strokes is carboning up in the cylinder,
exhaust or plug, and they wear quicker than 4 strokes.
If you cut your lawn regularly, and don't let it get out of hand most 4
strokes will handle it quite well. Also a Mulch mower might be an option, or
one that is designed to run without a catcher, saves emptying it, and
manouvering it around the curves and corners you mention.
Go for a known name too. The Honda motors (not sure what base they are on)
are great, and Briggs and stratton aren't too bad either.
Check out a mower place, see what there is and see what the sizes are of the
mowers and weights to find one to suit you, then go from there.
Oh, I saw the other posts about Flymos. I never tried the electric ones, but
if you get one, make sure you run a power cut out switch to avoid
electrocution. We have a 2 stroke one at work, but it's pretty heavy. Great
to use, but heavy getting in and out of the shed. Almost like moving a
normal mower around without wheels.

Hope this helps a little

Good luck

P.S. Did you used to mow it with a "push" non motorised mower before?

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply