Old 30-04-2003, 07:08 AM
Kate Kaercher

Default English Roses for MD

Shiva wrote:
Kate Kaercher wrote:

I see. So you gave these roses, what, ONE YEAR to prove themselves? Maybe

two? And your cultivation methods were how crappy, since you are so busy
with life outside the garden? Please. As someone who is just now
experiencing what three and four year plants are like, I must say this to
you: horsehooey! Why don't you go get some Madame de Furriers de caca
roses and leave the Austins to those of us who love them. Tradescant just
bloomed for the first time this year, and MY GOD. Truly a deep wine color,
rosy, rosy, "now THAT'S what a rose should smell like!" fragrance, and
that odd, furry sheen the most velvety roses have. A masterpiece. I am
buying more.

Actually, I had these roses for several years. They were among the
first we ever got. 3-4 year plants. And my cultivation methods were
impeccable because I was not so busy then as I am now. Not to mention
that the soil at our old house was just incredible, dark and loamy, not
like the clay we have here.

As for leaving the Austins to those who love them: you're welcome to
them. I won't stand in your way.

BTW Madame de Furriers de caca?

Meanwhile, I planted two hybrid tea bare roots in the same big hole.
Ever hear of that?

Yeah, and?

And they look great. Blue Nile. Another Tragic Diva-- times two.

Too bad it takes 2 roses to look great.

To each her own. BTW, I finally got my Mutabilis!

Oh, man. You are going to love this rose. Or, maybe not. We have different
taste in roses.

Dunno if'n I'm gonna have the opportunity to love it. It arrived
looking dead and has not improved.