Old 30-04-2003, 09:09 AM
Druss

Default Water Butts, do they save money...

"Rick McGreal" wrote in message
"Steve Warren @ The UK Speedtrap Guide"
wrote in :

I have a storage tank for 1939 litres. Having a few moments today I
wondered what I might be saving by collecting rain water rather than
using the hose pipe through the water meter ..

Erm....How do you get hold of a water butt?
Do people sell them?

Can I use something on the cheap?

Try the freeads, there's always plenty in those round my way, in fact I now
have 7 waterbutts, although only 5 actively collecct much rainwater, the
others are for comfrey etc composts.

A good alternative is to try and find some old loft water storage tanks, we
used to have two rectangular ones behind a 20foot greenhouse, they must have
been at least 4 foot wide by about 2 foot across and 3 foot deep, held a
load of water though I can't be bothered working it out. Two of those did a
grand job though. Back when they were bought they were cheap as well, they
were galavanised iron or steel I think, rivited together and would probably
cost a fortune today just for their "retro" chic !!!

Duncan