Old 30-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Druss

Default Snails

"Hussein M." wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:18:18 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

In just a week you'll have decimated the
population.

Reduced it by a tenth, do you mean? ;-)

If I had to put a percentage on it I'd estimate about 80%.

But you said decimated ... that means reduced by one tenth.

Or to a tenth? My Dictionary doesn't say.
snip

Definately BY a tenth, since the Roman army used to force any unit which
showed cowardice to beat to death one tenth of their colleagues using wooden
clubs. The poor unfortunate 10th was chosen by drawing lots and this is
where the term Decimate came from.
Thank heaven for "What the Romans did for us"
Duncan