Old 23-01-2003, 02:09 PM
zhanataya

Default Blueberries in a pot

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 22:19:29 -0600, "B & J"
wrote:

"zhanataya" wrote in message
.. .

I have a pot about 15 gallon size and am planning on putting a seven
gallon blueberry plant in it. Is this an ok size for it? Does anyone
have any recommendations for soil mix? I know they need acid soil
but am not sure how to achieve the proper mix.

TIA, Zhan

I don't know whether you know it or not, but most blueberries need another
cultivar for cross pollination. I hope you have another 15 gallon pot for a
second plant.

BTW, I'm not doing so well with the five I've planted in a special bed. Two
are doing well, but the other three have been sitting without growing or
producing berries. They are watered with a drip system, and I used a lot of
peat moss on the bed last fall and hope that makes a difference.

As a point of interest, I have a shaded area in the southwest corner of my
yard where I have azaleas. Some native blueberries have make a home next to
one of the azaleas and are doing well with the same care the azaleas
receive. Their berries are small, but the taste is great.

John

Oh Oh I'm in trouble. Got plenty of pots, but when I bought the plant
the tag was missing. You wrote another cultivar. I take it that means
a different cultivar than I have. Hopefully the nursery will take it
back, especially since I'll be replacing it with two more. How shady
is shaded? I thought you could grow these things in full sun. Can
you tell I'm a fruit and vegetable-challenged gardener?

zhan