Old 28-02-2003, 10:48 PM
John Savage

Default winter fruit

"M&M" writes:
Hi, I have been looking everywhere for info on what I can plant that will
fruit in Winter, but can't seem to find anything. Does this mean that there
aren't any winter fruits?? I would have thought there would be
something....

You don't say where you are.

I remember from my school days that the fivecorner fruit ripens during
Winter. The fruit is green coloured, not very flavoursome. The fruit is
about the size of a baby pea and contains a seed almost the same size. :-(
It's a small native shrub. I don't think you'd want to bother growing it,
certainly not for the fruit.

The geebung tree might be a better proposition. It's fruit are larger,
about the size of a cherry. The pip is not quite as big as the fruit. :-)
It's a native, and is frost tolerant. You roll the fruit around between
your molars, gradually rasping the flesh off the pip. I'm the first to
admit that this eventually loses its novelty.

From both of these natives you collect the fruit *after* it has dropped.
--
John Savage (newsgroup email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)