Old 30-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Mark Hill

Default [IBC] collecting azalea

Thanks for the helpful azalea info Jim.

Like Steve, I have a six azalea's here in PA that are prime candidates for
pots.
All are 10 years old and must be removed to accommodate changes in my wife's
garden.
I guess Steve's trees where in better growing conditions than mine because
mine are only 2 feet tall with 1 inch multiple trunks.

During the past winter a number of them suffered from severe freezing and
most of the leaves are brown and apparently dead. I think this was a
combination of cold temps and wind. They don't look too healthy.
I first thought that most of the branches were dead, but near the ends of
some of them there are one or two leaves with a single flower.

I'm rather concerned about digging them up, because they have very few
leaves to support future growth.
But sooner or later, they'll have to be moved to make room for new trees
etc.

Any suggestions ?

Mark Hill - Harrisburg PA - Zone 6