Old 30-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Arwen Long

Default Mini roses from NC nursery

btw, laurie, i am pretty sure i have some white alyssum seeds if you want
to keep the trading thread going. lmk if you're interested & i'll do some
digging in my seed packets.

susan, do you start the seeds outside or in?

arwen

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Susan H. Simko wrote:

laurie (Mother Mastiff) wrote:

Now I need to find something with tiny white blooms to fill in around
them. White Alyssum? Anyone seen any nice ones in 6-packs?
Other suggestions?

White alyssum - definitely. No bias here aside for that's what I have
in the bed with my mauve Blue Girl roses. *grin* It's so delicatae
next to the roses. (I also have it in the beds with the miniatures.)
The only thing else that would give that nice offset is Baby's Breath
but the plants are too large for miniatures. (I also have Baby's Breath
in my lily bed which is why I say that.) The alyssum is nice in that
it reseeds itself.

To be honest, I've never bought alyssum, always started it from seed. I
do recall seeing some flats at Lowes in north Durham not long ago.

Email me in early July if interested in picking organic blueberries. Looks
like there should be plenty this year! I re-discovered that ancient organic
fertilizer Plant-Tone (my mother used to use it) and can't wait to see if it
improves the flavor of the berries from the big old bushes (hard to do, but
I am eager to find out!)

It does look like a great year for blueberries and for strawberries! My
plants are loaded! The tomato plants are also looking good though
they're just starting to blossom.

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu