Old 07-02-2003, 08:52 AM
Terry Horton

Default My current plant list

On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 20:16:49 -0600, (Joe Doe)
wrote:

In article ,
(Terry Horton) wrote:

Prickly pear is tough, but who wants a boring old Opuntia? But how
about a red one?.. not red flowers, a head-turning reddish-purple all
over. Ask your nursery to order you an "Opuntia violacea var.
santa-rita" (not as hard-to-get as it sounds). We've got a very big
one growing in a very small pot on our back deck, and the extent of
care we give is to look at it. :-) Pic of this extraordinary Texas and
southwestern native he
http://eebweb.arizona.edu/grads/betsy/pp.html

Thanks for the suggestion; this is precisely the kind of suggestion I was
hoping for unnusual enough that it really earns a spot in your garden but
you do not pay a price in high maintainance.

Blue Palo Verde would go well with it, pruned to show off twisty green
trunks (the profuse yellow flowers are a bonus). Nolina lindheimeri
for the graceful, flowing leaves and tall cream flower spikes. And in
front, Black Dalea for the fine foliage and fall flowers. All are
Texas natives that require minimal care. It'd be a traffic stopper.
:-)

Hmm... may just do this myself.