Old 12-02-2003, 08:04 PM
d.tilson

Default worms

Babberney wrote:

I often tell people the best thing they can do for their trees is
improve their soil. My suggestion for the most low-tech, low-cost
approach is to mulch the root zone. I sometimes tell them to add
worms for even more benefit.

My question: would it be a mistake to suggest buying a box of worms
at the bait shop? Recent posts I saw somewhere mentioned that there
are different types of worms that all look about the same, but some
would be suited to a compost pile and some wouldn't. Makes me wonder
if fish-bait worms would be able to plow through our soil and help
carry the mulch downward like I thought.

What's that saying: "If you build it, they will come"? ;-)

Seriously, my experience with earthworms is that if you improve the
soil, they'll show up. If you "plant" worms and conditions aren't
right, they'll light out for other parts.

Dale