Old 16-02-2003, 03:13 PM
animaux

Default Pond Q's

I didn't say anything about fish, but we have a 165 gallon pond and have 4
comets (ordinary goldfish) in the pond. They grow to 12 inches. There used to
be a rule of thumb one inch per gallon of water, but I would go much lighter on
the fish load than that. Our 4 fish and the few bottom feeder fish, the pond is
almost maxed out. You do have to be concerned with biological management of the
water by testing it. Eventually, it strikes a balance and becomes an ecosystem.
Our pond is allowed to develop algae, etc. It's all part of a natural element.
We don't try to make our pond look like a swimming pool with clear water.

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 18:29:03 GMT, "groober" wrote:

I put in a small pond this winter and want to get a few plants for it. Who
in town (or online) has good selection/quality/prices?

Also, any plant suggestions? It gets pretty good sun, but some midday
shade. It's half moon shaped, 7' long, 3' wide, 3' deep in the center, with
1' ledges on the tips. I also have a hypertufa veggie filter (sans veggies
at the moment) 1.5'x2.5'x1.5' deep that spills over into the pond.

What's an appropriate fish stocking rate for this size pond and should I
wait until later in the year to add fish?