Old 24-02-2003, 02:10 PM
gary

Default I planted tree; how do I keep them alive now

This time of year, you should not have much of a problem. Just be sure to
keep them watered well and nature seems to be taking care of that right now.
I would make sure that they have the equivalent of watering once a day for a
couple of weeks, then go to every other day for another 2-3 weeks. Since
they are very new, I would stay at 2X/week through the hot, dry summer.
After that, you should be fine. Next year, you can give them water 1X/week
in the hottest part of the summer but you shouldn't have to worry about it
during the rest of the year.

Every couple of weeks, for awhile, give them some low-nitrogen
"root-stimulator" but no other fertilizer. You can start spring and fall
fertilization next spring, but they should not have that during their first
year.

gary
austin

"Gary Harper" wrote in message
I planted a Maple and a Pear tree in my back yard today. I packed the

soil
around them really well, watered them really well, and then put a layer of
mulch around the trunk. Is there anything else I should be doing to keep
them from dying? I want them to be happy and health trees.