Old 23-01-2003, 06:42 PM
madgard

Default Blueberries in a pot

I don't know why I didn't think of that. Any Lowes or Home Depraived will
have Azaela food which should be just fine for blueberries. ...........leave
it to Brudder John to clarify things better...g yes, you're challanged
but at least you're willing to learn! they can take partial shade, as the
wild ones up in the woods near the mountains attest. About six hours is
considered good enough, but yes, they do prefer direct sun if given a
choice. There is an 800 number in the Miller catalog if I can find the
catalog you can call to inquire about a cross pollinator...........(I have
been throwing out the excess catalogs trying to lighten the load in case we
lose our house and have to move to Michigan, nothing's in stone or
determined yet, and lightening my load has been harder than I thought it
would be I was going to call you but with our current phone bill
exceeding the C note Squire makes a week at the school, I can't afford to
even ring you up. I am dependent on the computer for communication, for
now, until BellSouth pulls the plug on me after 32 years service~~
tightening up the belt is an understatement at the moment.G

I will holler if I find that catalog with the 800 number

maddie looking at 5 inches of snow, temperatures in a balmy 15 with wind
chills way below -12 (gusts of 18 mph) and still no frelling hellebore
blossoms! I bundled up, layered and even found the boots MIL bought me at
Meijer's one year and hunted for the dang things to cheer me
up..................all I found was allum leaves, Hellebore leaves, red
twigs on the dogwoods, (do I prune them this spring to make them grow more
branches?)and VINCA MAJOR LEAVES....ACRES AND ACRES OF VINCA LEAVES,
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH GBSEG LOL
"zhanataya" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 22:19:29 -0600, "B & J"
wrote:

"zhanataya" wrote in message
.. .

I have a pot about 15 gallon size and am planning on putting a seven
gallon blueberry plant in it. Is this an ok size for it? Does anyone
have any recommendations for soil mix? I know they need acid soil
but am not sure how to achieve the proper mix.

TIA, Zhan

I don't know whether you know it or not, but most blueberries need

another
cultivar for cross pollination. I hope you have another 15 gallon pot for

second plant.

BTW, I'm not doing so well with the five I've planted in a special bed.

Two
are doing well, but the other three have been sitting without growing or
producing berries. They are watered with a drip system, and I used a lot

of
peat moss on the bed last fall and hope that makes a difference.

As a point of interest, I have a shaded area in the southwest corner of

my
yard where I have azaleas. Some native blueberries have make a home next

one of the azaleas and are doing well with the same care the azaleas
receive. Their berries are small, but the taste is great.

John

Oh Oh I'm in trouble. Got plenty of pots, but when I bought the plant
the tag was missing. You wrote another cultivar. I take it that means
a different cultivar than I have. Hopefully the nursery will take it
back, especially since I'll be replacing it with two more. How shady
is shaded? I thought you could grow these things in full sun. Can
you tell I'm a fruit and vegetable-challenged gardener?

zhan