Old 15-02-2003, 08:55 AM
Oz

Default Power stats for Forage Harvesters

Jim Webster writes

well, we make 80 acres of first cut grass silage, precision chopped.
There is two tractors mowing, one tractor rowing up, the self propelled
chopper, an industrial loader loading the grass into the pit, three
tractors carting. They will use, in total, less than 200 gallons of
diesel, as we have a 200 gallon tank and if it is full before the
contractor arrives, we can fill them all up when they leave.
If you put in second cut as well, we would produce enough silage to feed
70 milk cows and over 150 younger cattle through a 180 day winter off
400 gallons of diesel.

Heating a UK house typically consumes over 600g of kerosine/annum.
12,000 miles/year (a fairly typical UK rural usage) at 25mpg ave
consumes about 500g of petrol.

70 cows at 6500l/annum produces 450,000L and if each household consumes
1L/day it will produce all the milk required for 1250 households. These
households consume some 1,400,000 galls of fossil fuel just for heating
and car. The silagemaking 'contribution' of 400g (generous) thus
accounts for only 0.03% of this. In other words entirely negligible.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.