Old 25-12-2002, 10:28 PM
Gordon Couger

Default Mad Cow Disease / Mad Deer Disease

"Oz" wrote in message
Gordon Couger writes

When did the UK start treating for warble files. I was treating cattle 30
years ago with systeminc insecticides.

I don;t know. We were already effectively clear when I came in 75.

We never used phosmet, by the way, few dairy farmers did.
They preferred the much less toxic tiguvon.

Phosmet tended to be used by beef farmers or those in remoter areas
where there were ticks.

I was wrong we were treating with systemincs 40 years ago. I am 60 and can
barely rember seeing a warbel in a cow.

With dairy cattle where you have access to them 2 or 3 times every day many
things are much easier than with beef cattle where you catch them if you
can

Speaking of ticks I can remeber when my part of the world didn't have ticks.
We imported them in the 50's & 60's with cattle we trucked in from all over.
In 1950 the ground had only been under the plow for a little over 40 years
and etiher ticks had never been there or they died out in the 30's due to
drought and when the people cleaned out the wild life for somthing to eat or
fur to sell.

Gordon