Old 01-05-2003, 05:34 PM
Arwen Long

Default another indoor question flies past

Thanks for all the answers. have been letting the soil dry more & flies
decrease. yay! will remember flea spray also.

arwen (who has tennis elbow & isn't going to type for a whiler)

On Sun, 24 Nov 2002, mhill wrote:

update on my experiment with "concern insect killing soap" i put it in the
soil once a week for a month and now no more flies.so it works. the flea
spray could be used on the leaves but ill give it a fling.
"Jennifer Richards" wrote in message
om...
There was an article in today's N&O on these flies - fungus or mold flies.
Advice was to let plants dry out completely between watering, and a couple
of other things. They're not harmful to plants or humans, just pesky.

"Arwen Long" wrote in message
Now that I know that white fuzzy stuff on new pottings is not unusual
'round here, I have another question. Where do the little plant flies

come
from and how can I get rid of them? I know they're not fruit flies

because
the eyes aren't right (those old biology classes come in handy
sometimes...), but they seem to have the same attraction to pots as

fruit
flies do to fruit. They don't eat the plants as far as I can tell, but
it's sort of annoying to have them floating around the kitchen.

Has anyone else found a way to avoid these creatures?

Thanks

Arwen