Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Bobby Creech

Default Which trees held up the best?

I have 12 oaks in my yard in N. Raleigh. Only 4 good sized limbs on the
ground, none on the house. However, I have 2 big limbs in one oak in the
front yard and 1 big limb in another oak in the backyard by the patio that
have broken and are hanging about 30 -40 feet up in the each tree. These
limbs are 6-8 inches in diameter where they have broken with alot of small
leaf filled branches. They actually look like 3 big mushroom hanging upside
down. One will fall on my patio, the other two in the front yard whenever
they decide to turn loose.........unless I get tired of seeing them hang and
spend the money to have them cut down.
Oaks definitely are better in ice than pines.....
"ncstockguy" wrote in message
om...
Anyone see a pattern to which trees seemed to hold up the best in the
ice storm?
Our sweetgums and long leaf pines lost a lot of branches. Am now
wondering if there are some good evergreen trees that are stronger
under the weight of ice, but still do well in our hot summer climate?