Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Beth Peace

Default Which trees held up the best?

ncstockguy wrote:
Anyone see a pattern to which trees seemed to hold up the best in the
ice storm?
Our sweetgums and long leaf pines lost a lot of branches. Am now
wondering if there are some good evergreen trees that are stronger
under the weight of ice, but still do well in our hot summer climate?

I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but we have a very large cedar that's
had no problems with any of our storms. I wish I knew what type it was; it
just came with the house. We also have a maple and some oaks that were
fine, but many limbs were lost on the pines. Drag 'em back to the woods to
join the rest of the underbrush...

Beth