Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Anne Lurie

Default Mexican Oregano?

Thanks, Holly! Ever since I started seeing dried oregano in the Hispanic
section of local markets, I wondered whether it's the same as the "other"
oregano we buy in bulk. Actually, I was planning to buy some to experiment
just as soon as we run out of oregano (oh, c'mon, like none of you have ever
"over-bought" in the bulk section?)

Seriously, this dried oregano comes in [relatively] big packages, and it
seems really cheap (even to me, and I have never been known for my skills in
comparison shopping!)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

I use dried Mexican Oregano totally for my oregano. I buy mine from a
wholesaler (Southern Foods). I especially like to use it in vinaigrettes

and
spicy tomato sauces. In the dried form, it is much leafier than Italian
Oregano and integrates better in sauces and vinaigrettes.

Holly