Old 01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
John Kohl

Default How do I save a cold-damaged camellia?

I didn't think Wednesday-night temps. would be low enough to harm my
camellias, but when I checked on them yesterday at 10 a.m., one of
them --one that was newly planted this past fall -- was looking pretty
bad already (leaves kind of dry and shriveled). Undoubtedly the
combination of cold and wind, plus the fact that we haven't had much
rain lately, made this more susceptible. I covered it up very
thoroughly, surrounded it with bales of pinestraw to block the wind,
and piled snow around the base of the covering.

Question is: Should I water it now (or maybe I should have done that
yesterday), or wait until it warms up (I'm thinking Sunday, when it's
supposed to be in the 40s)?

Thanks.

John Kohl