Old 30-12-2002, 09:26 AM
Gordon Couger

Default Mad Cow Disease / Mad Deer Disease

Jim Webster wrote:

Jonathan Ball wrote in message

You're an idiot. Your "part of the world" is a little
backwater full of lowbrow idiots.

Jonathan does have an interpersonal relations problem

Wrong. I have an intense dislike for tunnel-visioned
parochial rubes like Gordon, and their apologists like you.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=%22salt+lick%22 is a search on

Google

It's a very SHODDY search on Google, Gordon, because it
is a Google NEWS search. Do a Google WEB search, and
quite a lot of different citations come up,
particularly if you don't search merely on "salt lick",
but include some other terms as well, e.g. "feed
block". Here's one:

I encourage mineral salt-licks to be placed where
deer can be observed. That is one reason for the
licks -- observing is one way that the deer resource
can be used. The sites should be replenished
annually for 3 years, then left for 3 years and
moved to a spot 50 feet away to reduce any chance of
parasite buildup. The lick is rarely, if ever, used
in the winter months; greatest use is in early
spring. Selecting a good site for a lick is tough
(for example, out of a watershed; not easily reached
by a poacher; having a good background for
photographers; vegetation readily sacrificed since
the salt will kill some nearby).

[...]

We want you to spend a few dollars on a small
mineral salt block (available from any feed/seed
store). Use a mineral block (not plain; not sulfur).
Put it on a log or post where you can see it well,
but at a distance (so the deer will not be
frightened away by your presence). (Replace it when
it is used up. The deer will continue to lick at the
salty ground beneath the block.)

http://fwie.fw.vt.edu/rhgiles/AntlerPt/_ap032.htm

for "salt lick" in every case it refers to a place where animals come to
salt not the salt its self.

At least my tunnel vision is a great deal more wide angled than your

myopic
one note stance on environmental matters that you have no real

experience or
understanding of. My knowledge and experiance is a great deal broader as
well.

Unproved.

I expect I have spent several thousand times more money directly

protecting
the environment than you have

You have no way of knowing that.

I will place a large wager.

and I know I have contributed more to reduce
the impact of agriculture on the environment It is annoying to have

little
people like you sit and bitch about those of us actively engaged in
preserving the land for the future. You can't even enter an intelligent
discussion on the subject.

It's even more annoying to have a parochial twit
pretend he knows anything useful at all.

Give an example of something you have done to directly improve the
envrionment.

Gordon.