Old 23-01-2003, 10:41 PM
Kay Lancaster

Default zone 3 & 4 garden advice sought

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:33:47 -0600, mmarteen wrote:
I am technically in zone 4a, Minneapolis, MN USA but this winter has been
very odd. In fact, of the 7 winters I have endured in this fair city each
has been fairly unique. 3 winters had barely any snow. One was extremely
mild, temperature wise and the other two had at least 2 weeks of hideously
cold weather, with temps well below 0, and in the 20s and 30s below with
windchill, so very cold and very windy.

Yes, all are absolutely typical.

I am wondering what I should do for the future in my new garden (we are
moving this spring). Should I plan to mulch every year in Oct? Our coldest
weather generally doesn't show itself until January. Could I wait until
Dec. and mulch if the snow cover is too light or is this too risky? What do
other people do?

Me, myself, and I, I'd be over at the Minnesota Arboretum in Chanhassen,
soaking up as many classes on perennials and low-care plants for your
climate as possible. http://www.arboretum.umn.edu/ I'd also
be reading and rereading and planning from the plant lists in Leon Snyder's
three books, Gardening in the Upper Midwest, Flowers for Northern Gardens,
and Trees and Shrubs for Northern Gardens.
http://www.upress.umn.edu/Books/S/snyder_trees.html

Kay Lancaster who grew up on the cusp of 4A