Old 30-12-2002, 01:05 PM
Lotus

Default Mad Cow Disease / Mad Deer Disease

"Gordon Couger" wrote in message

"Jonathan Ball" wrote in message

Give an example of something you have done to directly improve the
envrionment.

lol! Killed 'soulless' ants (and most other lifeforms) -effectively-.

From: Jonathan Ball )
Subject: OT: ant repellant
Newsgroups: alt.food.vegan
Date: 2001-10-29 09:07:42 PST

papos le grand balz ov the tiki tribe wrote:

ants are congregating in my bathroom. How can I tell them that they are
unwelcome without having to resort to destructive means?

Ditch your inhibitions about using "destructive means". There are
billions of ants, and they are soulless. Just kill them. If you're
sensitive to the use of dangerous chemicals, you can try mixing up some
water, some liquid dish soap, and some vinegar. Douse 'em, and they'll
die quickly. This is what I usually use inside the house, as I am
sensitive to the use of strong chemicals inside the house. I've also
found a commercial brand of insecticide that uses mint extract as the
toxic-to-bugs ingredient. It's suspended in some kind of oil base. It
works, but I find it doesn't last very long; doesn't appear to create a
long-lasting barrier that the ants won't cross.

My neighbors across the street swear by chalk as a way of deterring them
from entering. Find where they are entering your house, and scrape a
stick of chalk across their path. I haven't tried that, though. I usually
spray a strong solution of malathion around the base of the house.
It is very effective.

Malathion (another OP) is lethal to beneficial insects,
snails, microcrustaceans, fish, birds, amphibians,
and soil microorganisms. Sublethal exposure of
these species can cause a variety of behavioral and
physiological abnormalities.
http://lists.essential.org/dioxin-l/msg00990.html

Effects on humans;
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/MHMI/mmg154.html