Old 01-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Brent Harsh

Default Hummingbirds

Will Cook wrote:

Yes, there have been several local reports on the Carolinabirds e-mail
group, though I haven't seen one yet. They normally show up in the
second week in April, occasionally the first week.

Here's the local bird checklist with more details:
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/chbc/trichk2002.pdf

Since you mention an e-mail list, I assume that the triangle.birding
newsgroup really is as inactive as it appears. I re-did my
browser/newsreader a month or so ago and found it then, but haven't seen
any posts yet. Your own triangle birding website is great and I appreciate
the pointers - I'm one of those who doesn't usually bird locally, but
rather only when on vacation so my list is missing quite a few common birds.

obGardening: My Carolina wren family tries to keep up with the various
caterpillars/insects eating my roses and other plants, but usually fail in
the attempt. Last year, I made the mistake of spraying the roses with some
commercial fungicide/insecticide - the garage got real quiet after that and
I thought the little birds must all have grown up and moved out since they
had been flapping around for the past few weeks. Unfortunately, I found 4
little babies dead under the toolbench a few months later as I was cleaning
up . I guess the heck with the roses this year - the parents are back,
but not in the garage this time so I haven't spotted any young yet. It's
still early though.

--
Brent Harsh - KD4PBO
Cary, North Carolina, USA