Old 01-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Richard Periut

Default My scenario.

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Richard Periut said:
snip description of lot

I have had good success with individual pots in which I've grown
Habanero peppers, some tomatoes, and some cukes.

But I want to expand this year, and grow more stuff.

Any suggestions? Should I raise a bed, and if so, can I do it on top of
the grass? Or should I have to rent a tiller and till the whole thing?
My soil seems sort of sandy and compact.

My personal preference would be to strip the sod, let it dry out a bit,
and shake out as much of the soil clinging to it as you can manage.
Tilling sod into sandy soil was a bad experience for me -- way, way
to much survived. (Plants that run, run far and fast through sand.)

It would be best to get a soil test before you do anything else. That
would let you know what your limiting nutrients are, and give a pointer
to what mineral amendments might do your soil some good. For
instance, my own sandy soil was short of potassium but OK on
phosphorous, and maybe a little shy of calcium and slightly acid.
I add a lot greensand and a little bit of dolomitic limestone when
I start new beds. These might be appropriate amendments for you;
a soil test would help determine that.

(I must admit, I only got the soil test *after* a poor first-year veggie garden.
The soil here was much different than where I last lived. The soil test helped
me fix things.)

If your soil is sandy all the way down, all you have to do is till it. Till in as
much compost as you can get, and whatever other amendments are appropriate.
If you have a sandy topsoil over a more clay-like subsoil, you might want to
consider double-digging. It's a lot of hard work, but can be enormously beneficial.
Do it right (and treat your soil well afterward) and it only has to be done once.

http://hcs.osu.edu/mgonline/Herbaceo...02/07gen02.htm

(I renovated a large flower garden for a dear friend who had a thin layer of
top soil over heavy clay. It was heavy labor to double dig that, but the results
were spectacular.)

Thank you so much for the advice. I've heard of getting the soil tested,
but never thought it was that important.

Regards,