Old 01-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Rachel

Default Tulip Eating Squirrel

Squirrels LOVE tulips. Last year my tulip plants looked like neatly trimmed
artichokes, when the squirrels were done with them. The best deterrent I
found, to date, is Badger Balm sore muscle rub, slathered on the stems, leaf
tips and the base of the blossoms. It contains cayenne pepper, among other
ingredients, in a base of olive oil and beeswax. The advantage over straight
cayenne, is that it doesn't wash off when it rains. A few weeks ago, I
posted a complaint that this had stopped working, but I think I just hadn't
gotten it onto the plants in time and in sufficient quantity.

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in message
Yesterday I saw a squirrel eat some tulip leaves and then the stem and
finally he bent down some flowers and ate the petals. The damn think

acted
like he was on speed. Has anyone else ever witnessed this?