Old 31-12-2002, 02:29 AM
Lotus

Default Mad Cow Disease / Mad Deer Disease

"Jonathan Ball" wrote in message ...
Lotus wrote:
"Jim Webster" wrote in message

Lotus wrote in message

[..]
First we had to get you to
find out what was the difference between a lick and a block.

There is no difference. A mineral/salt lick and a mineralised block
are, for all intents and purposes, the same thing.

That's not the same off-key tune you were singing just
two days ago:

Someone was thoughtful enough to find a supplier of
mineralised supplementary feed licks for cattle
http://www.ccfarmers.co.uk/feed.asp , but that's
still a lick. I see Dry Cow Feed Blocks on the same
page

You didn't know then that a "lick" and a "block" were,
"for all intents and purposes, the same thing".

Yes, I did. It was JIM that said that 'salt licks' and 'mineralised blocks'
were two different things.

You introduced mineralised FEED block when you realised that.

Michael said "There are licks AND feed blocks. Both weigh about
fifty pounds. The feed blocks must be protected from the weather
or they will crumble and become inedible. The licks are solid enough
to be either simply dropped in the pasture or put in a salt block holder",
but showed us a link to a mineral lick/block containing grain products.
http://www.martindalefeed.com/Products/BLOCKS/3307.htm

I asked whether the feed block Michael had described were also
used in the UK. Now we know that supplementary feed blocks
which contain minerals are available, but I have yet to see them
referred to as 'mineralised feed blocks'.

[..]