Old 01-05-2003, 08:44 PM
kathleen

Default Foraging

I was thinking of daylily, roo, but you mentioned greens, not edible
flowers. I took a 1-day class on wild edibles that was enchanting.
Unfortunately, the hotplate being used to boil milkweed pods kept
tripping the circuit-breaker at the Nature & Science center, so we
weren't able to taste. Cattail shoots are *delicious*. Am waiting to
find someone willing to guide me to a site for glasswort (also
wonderfully tasty). One of the fun parts of the class was an outdoor
tour of wild plants in the vicinity. One couple, after having heard in
the classroom 15 minutes before that one stage of a plant was edible;
another toxic, proceeded to get this entirely turned around. I hope
they didn't make themselves sick. :-)

I tasted cattail shoots when I was a kid, and they are delicious, so much so
that I'm tempted to plant some in a swampy spot in my yard.

Kathleen