Old 01-05-2003, 08:44 PM
nanook

Default Worms

Thanks Aaron

I'll look into the BT stuff.
I soak my moss in Physon and the smallest amount of Lindane, then
rinse and squeeze before ever putting seedling in it. I was not
willing to try pesticides and wait and see if it killed the worms or
the plants or both, while the worms continued to eat em up. I figured
the quickest and surest way was to dump all the trays, wash everybody
and remount them. I lost a very few plants so it was not a dissaster.
Just glad I was not away for any time, because the guy I pay to
babysit them would have freaked out and not known what to do.
goodgrowintoall
NANOOK

On 1 May 2003 11:01:52 -0600, (Aaron Hicks) wrote:

Sorry to hear about your worm problems, Nanook.

Have you considered applying a bacterial pesticide, such as
Bacillus thuringiensis (sorry if the spelling is off- it's still early in
the morning) to see if it would have any effect? The BT produces toxins
that serve as a larvicide effective on some species of insects, while
having virtually no mammalian toxicity. You should be able to find it as
some sort of "catepillar killer" (look for the bacterial name somewhere on
the box).

Cheers,

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

The e-mail address in the header doesn't work. Sorry.