Old 02-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Gordon Couger

Default German GM wheat trials approved but site sabotaged

"Berube" @home wrote in message ...
I think that your right Jim. Being from Canada, and being involved
directly with agriculture, there is no distinct advantage to having a

round
up ready wheat here. The ag chemicals on the market here now do a

wonderful
job on the weed spectrum, and we have some great varieties of Red Spring
Wheat.
Canola, on the other hand, has great advantages in the round up ready
system. Along with higher yielding varieties, we can now control problem
weeds such as cleavers and hawksbeard. Of the 7,000,000 acres here that

are
devoted to canola, about 80% of them are devoted to round up ready canola,
10% to clearfield canola, and only 10% committed conventional canola.

By the way, Gordon, if you are reading this, I totally understand what

you
are saying about a No till system, as it is happening here exactly the way
that you are explaining it. As far a Torsten is concerned, he's just an
IDIOT with no practical knowledge.

Torstin's not an idiot. He just has 60 mile an hour view of farming from
driving a small oval in Denmark. He has never worked with third world
agriculture or seen dry weather. He has a very strong view that is always
consistent.

RR winter wheat would sell. There are enough weed problems that aren't
covered to make a good market for them. There are only 12 million acres of
cotton in the US that's not much compared to wheat. Seed wheat is a lot
cheaper to raise than cotton seed and will keep it's germination a lot
longer than cotton seed or soybeans. I have planted wheat that was 10 years
old and cut to pieces by weevil that got a good stand.

They can adjust the price on RR wheat a lot more than their other crops
because it will cost a lot less to raise process and keep. Cleaning out a
cotton gin to process seed is at least a two day job.

Also Monsanto uses their RR crops to sell Round Up but only guaranteeing
their crops if you use Round Up.

Gordon